Andrew was diagnosed with Erythroid (M6) Acute Myeloid Leukemia on November 4th, 2010 when he was almost 5 months old. Andrew is currently in remission from his cancer, after finishing his 5 rounds of chemotherapy. He is a healthy, happy toddler.

Monday, March 21, 2011

Round 4: A very wiggly baby

We were admitted today for round 4. I've heard from just about everyone that this round is the hardest, so I've been preparing myself mentally for the challenge, although I don't think it's done much. Days 1-4 are a higher dose of ARA-C (Cytarabine), which Andrew has had before along with a new drug, Mitoxantrone (on days 3-6). Mitoxantrone is an anthracycline that I'm not totally excited about--it's bright blue and makes their urine turn blue or green (depending). I've also heard their tears can be a tinge blue as well.

Andrew's been SO wiggly. So very, very wiggly. The first few days are always pretty exhausting for me trying to make sure Andrew doesn't get completely lost in his lines, but mostly, that he doesn't chew on them. It is oh so tempting for a kid his age. I guess he wiggled around a little too much because his line just broke, so IV team is coordinating to come fix it any minute now. I'm glad I noticed his bandage looked a bit darker, because the saline and the backed-up blood had been soaking through his bandage onto his top, and if they hadn't noticed, they might not have been able to repair it by 1:30AM, which is the deadline that they need to make because he gets his ARA-C at 5:30AM (the glue needs 4 hours to dry). Worst case scenario they wouldn't have noticed at all and 60 mLs of ARA-C would get all over him.

Anyway, best be off to help the nurses--but thanks so much for the encouragement, everyone. I really was feeling so much support yesterday. Just hearing from people really does lift me up, so thanks.

3 comments:

  1. What a blessing that you detected the break! That's what a mother is for, right? So glad you can be there with our little Andrew. I keep praying for him all the time. Love you all so much!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are constantly in our prayers. Headed to the temple today where I will again put Andrews name on the prayer roll. Blessings to you and your family.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hate line breaks, I am so glad you noticed it before he got his ARA-C. We will be there Thursday and if we have time we'll come visit. I think Andrew has done remarkably well through all of this so I'm sure he'll sail through round #4! Good luck!

    ReplyDelete